Broke Defendants

Some home insurance policies contain what is known as an “unsatisfied damages”clause which will allow the policyholder (and usually any member of his family) to sue a man of straw, and, if any award (including costs) is not met within e.g. 3 months will pay out those monies.

These clauses are becoming rarer, but if a local lad at a football match has shattered your leg and normally you would not proceed against him due to him having no assets, your should check whether such a policy is in existance.